Saturday, July 4, 2009

Walking Down

A boy walks down the street,
He says,
"What am I doing here?
What's in it for me?
I want this.
I want that.
Life's going too slow,
I want to go fast,
Zoom out of innocence,
And leave this ignorance in the past."

His old dad drops by,
Gives his son a bear hug,
Gives him some free advice,
Some fatherly advice,
He tells him,
"Don't go so fast,
You've gotta make the moments last.*"



A man walks down the street,
He says,
"What am I still doing here?
I've worked at my 9-5,
All of my life,
I've got nothing,
No reason to live,
Just hungry, selfish mouths to feed,
And 1/2 a foot in the grave,
I'm crying for life,
Begging for death,
Who can decide?"

The man calls his pop,
He asks what to do, what to say, what to feel,
His father tells him,
"Your life may be hard,
But you're going soft,
You need a shot at redemption,
And you have plenty of time,
So just let it ride."


An old man walks down the street,
He says,
"I've done all I can here,
I've lived my life,
Though my body may be going,
My soul is strong,
I am ready to go."



*I took those 2 lines from a Simon and Garfunkel song called The 59th Street Bridge Song (Feelin' Groovy).

This is my 1st poem in a while so don't be too judgmental, I'm coming back, but it's gonna be slow.

No comments: