Thursday, July 30, 2009

The Bells (Ancestors In Paradise)

A happy family,
Lived in a happy home,
Father,mother, sister, brother they be,
They were happy, damn happy,
As good as good can be.

Then came The Bells,
Telling of the past, the present, the future,
You can learn a lot from,
The rolling and the tolling of The Bells.

Father started getting sick,
Black spots covered his body,
He first couldn't eat,
Then he couldn't move,
Then he couldn't sleep,
Then last It took his body,
Piece by little piece,
Till all that was left,
Was the fruitless shell,
Of a truly wonderful man.

They told me to go to the yard,
When my father died,
They covered his lifeless eyes,
With a small loin cloth,
Took him to the crematorium.

We took his ashes home,
And put them next to Grandma's,
To watch over us forever,
And for us to remember forever.

I cried a lot that day,
The waterfall from the abysses of my heart,
To the lake in my soul,
Washed away my sorrow,
And helped me mourn.

My father had breakfast with his kinfolk,
Then lunch with our ancestors in paradise.

I'll always remember The Bells,
Telling of the past, the present, the future,
You can learn a lot from,
The rolling and the tolling of The Bells.



This poem was a poem requested by Nadia Khan about the Black Plague. I researched the Black Plague a lot and found it to be a lot like cancer actually in the way it kills people. I related it to my father, so there you go. I got the idea from Edgar Allen Poe's "The Bells." He wrote it about his dying wife as well. The second to last stanza is based on a quote by Giovanni Boccacio, an Italian noble, about the Black Plague.

No comments: